Monday, July 20, 2009

Echo Basin Ranch, Mancos, CO.



We arrived here Saturday evening even though we had left Flagstaff rather early in the morning. The roads between Tuba City and Cortez are all two lane and are in very rough condition. That and the rise in elevation kept our speed down to a sedate 55mph on the “good” sections and even lower on the bad. I’m glad I had shock absorbers installed on the trailer before we left and I think they may have helped with the washboard sections.
I didn’t blog yesterday as I spent all of my computer efforts on trying to get our email working properly. We can receive email but not send email. We keep getting a SMTP time out error on transmit. I’ll spend more time on it today and may even have to call Cox for tech support. It has to be a parameter somewhere but I sure can’t find it.
We are camped in a really nice spot under tall pine trees and next to a huge pasture complete with a herd of horses that have learned over the years that campers are a soft touch for apples and carrots. Now we need to get to a store and resupply our fiber foods.
Our next spot neighbor is 30-year Air Force retired so he and I hit it off right away. We spent a lot of time reminiscing about airplanes we have known and loved. We went over to their camper (a really nice 5th-wheel) for drinks and snacks last evening. They travel with two cats, we travel with two dogs.
We rode our bicycles all around the campground yesterday and met and re-met a lot of early arrival Norton folks. Some we know from other rallies, some we’re meeting for the first time. The rally officially starts today so we expect a huge influx of old friends this morning. It may get real busy, real quick!
Cheryl took the dogs for a walk in the woods yesterday and saw a deer with “huge antlers”, and more horses, and a Llama. I have no idea why there’s a Llama about, but there you have it.
That’s it. More tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment