Thursday, July 18, 2013

Councourse in Buffalo on the Bozeman Trail







Frank: Yesterday we rode the bike down to the center of Buffalo to the town baseball park where the concourse bike exhibit was taking place.  The club opened the show up to the local townsfolk the local car clubs and about 10 very nice (and one very “Rat”) cars showed up.  I expect that the show being held on a Wednesday cut down on the number of cars that were able to show up.

My favorite car was the “Rat.”  The guy had taken a hulk out of a field and grafted a whole front end from another car on it, jammed a 400 cubic inch engine in it, cut 12 inches out of the middle to shorten it, made all of the systems work so it is street legal, and left everything else just as he found it.  He parks it outside, even in the winter, just to improve the patina.  I love it!  It must drive the local law enforcement nuts!

We had almost 300 Nortons and other Brit-Bikes on display.  It was a really nice turn out.  As it worked out there were only two bikes in the “Custom CafĂ©” category so I guess he and I will split 1st and 2nd places.

There was no shade in the field and it was sunny and hot so Cheryl walked downtown and explored the local shops while I sweltered, socialized, and answered a lot of questions from the local residents.  It was fun.

Ride On!
Frank

Cheryl: Buffalo’s small town shops, while quite limited, offer some interesting window shopping. A couple antique stores, a few small cafes, a gallery, a western shop, and an upscale resale store. I wandered into the resale shop just to browse and left with a great bargain in a leather Mondani of New York purse in perfect condition for a mere $12. It’s just the right size to throw over my shoulder and tuck under my arm for safe-keeping while riding passenger on the bike.

By the time I covered most of the shops on one side of the main drag and sat down at a convenient table and chairs in the shade next to a street corner park, I couldn’t believe 5:00 p.m. had rolled around, meaning the concourse had ended. I scurried on over to the fairgrounds, bypassing the craft fair with a live band I had intended to check out again, to find Frank still out in the field answering questions about his bike.

Most of the participant bikes departing in waves didn’t convince Frank time to leave had arrived, so I wandered across the street and sat by Clear Creek to watch a couple of young boys playing in a small waterfall in the middle of the creek. Soon Frank called on the cell and I “scrambled?” up the bank to join him. I don’t think scrambled really applies when you consider it took me some time to even get upright after sitting on the ground with my back up against a rock.

I took a short nap before dinner of burgers, chips, beans, slaw and a cookie down at the main rally tent where they handed out the awards for the field events and bestowed some door prizes on lucky wrist-band number winners. The bike awards for the concourse show will be this evening at the banquet. Friday will merely be coffee and goodbyes in the a.m. We’re staying a few more days here in this lovely RV spot at the top of the hill because our friends Jeremy and Leigh arrive on Friday. We’re thinking of visiting some historic spots a ways north in the little town of Sheridan with them.

I just found out that Greg Brown performs on July 25 at the WYO Theater in Sheridan. I’m hoping Frank will want to stay a couple of days longer up there so we can see the show. He’s one of the folk artists whose music my son-in-law John Gallagher introduced to me some time ago. I’d love to see him perform in person. He’s quite the showman. If we decide to do that, we’ll start out for Montana on July 26.

Sending love to you from the Bozeman Trail,
Buffalo Bill, Clamity Jane, Big Nose Kate, and Doc Holliday





No comments:

Post a Comment