Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 5. Mulberry Grove

Frank: We are in Mulberry Grove, Illinois, about 30 miles east of St. Louis. Last night we were in Topeka, Kansas at the Cement City RV Park. It was actually the Deer Creek RV Park, but Cement City seems a better description. It is very nice but very austere. The story is that it was built by a guy who owns a cement contracting business and who has a brother who owns a cement factory. So he very cleverly designed it to be minimum maintenance required. All the roads are cement, all the pads are cement, all the pads are sized for big class A’s, and all the grass areas are borderless. There are no trees to be maintained or mowed around, and all the utilities are in a neat, above ground white pedestal. The grass is cut with a big tractor dragging a huge mower blade and the roads and pads are vacuumed with a sweeper truck. The only drawback to the design is the lack of shade, but that only affects the clients and we are transients anyway.

Today’s drive was easy, we just mainline east on I-70. We pulled over a few times to walk the dogs, and stopped at a nice rest area in Missouri to make lunch. I have to say that Missouri has really nice rest areas!

Tomorrow should be an easy day of about 4-5 hours. We are going to stop in Dayton, Ohio and spend the next day at the Air Force Museum. I last saw the museum back in about 1972 when I made my very first cross-country motorcycle tour on my 1970 Triumph Chopper. I expect it will be like déjà-vu all over again.

Cheryl: I’m too tired to be perky and creative so I will write something later or maybe tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment