Friday, July 29, 2011

Laying on of hands

Frank: We are safely ensconced at Del Monte RV Park in Woodbridge, VA, aka my brother Greg’s backyard. We have full hookups, cable TV and secure WiFi, it’s wonderful. Yesterday’s trip from New York to Virginia was a difficult day, a 5 hour trip took 9 hours just because of the heavy traffic and a slight detour in Baltimore when the BIB tried to send us through a tunnel that didn’t allow propane bottles.

Today I went with brothers, Guy and Kim, to Guy Jr’s house and helped Guy Jr. get Guy Sr.’s 1970 Triumph Chopper running. Guy Sr. had given the bike to Guy Jr. a couple months ago and Guy Jr. has completely restored the bike (which was actually in very good condition anyway as it was stored inside for the last 30 years). Guy Jr. had gone through the carbs and set the points, but the bike just wouldn’t start. So, it was perfect timing when I arrived to go over and see if I could help.

The following is true and I have video tape to prove it. I pulled the pilot jets and blew them out, checked the gap on the points, looked over all the wiring for loose connections, slightly adjusted the carb cables, and then kneeled down next to the bike. I put my head down next to the engine, ran my hands over the engine, over the tank, down the sides of the bike along the mufflers, gently caressed the headlight and front forks, all the while humming Ohmmmmmmm. Then, I straddled the bike, turned on the petcocks, tickled the carbs, and honest to God, kicked it one time and it started! The continuing saga of Frank’s motorcycle magic has been reaffirmed once again in front of three witnesses and on video recording taken by brother, Kim. And, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!

While I was away, Cheryl and Greg’s wife, Betty, busied themselves with making new black-out curtains for the trailer to replace the ones that fell apart in the wash on the day before we left Phoenix when I suggested that we should wash them before leaving, much to my chagrin. Who would have thought that the dryer would have actually melted the backing on the old ones that Cheryl had spent so many hours making when we first got the trailer. These news ones sure are nice!
That’s good for today. The brothers are gathering for dinner tomorrow night, we’re going boating on Sunday and we’ll blog some more later. By the way, Cleo and Peanut are having an absolute ball playing with Angel, Greg and Betty’s little poodle. They chase each other around the house, leaping from furniture and hiding under the coffee table. They’re two tuckered puppies tonight.

Love,
The bike whisperer, seamstress par excellance, and two very happy puppies




No comments:

Post a Comment