Monday, July 11, 2011

It's the destination . . .

Cheryl: and NOT the ride this time.

We’ve finally escaped the awful heat and humidity of Missouri and Illinois. We cut across Illinois and Indiana and into Ohio today where we’ve landed in Brookville, Ohio, at an awesome KOA Campground with acres of RV sites along with a fishing lake, volleyball courts, putting green, playgrounds and trails. We’re in a lovely wooded spot and will be here for two nights, so we can visit the Air Force Museum all day tomorrow. It promises to be a lovely cool evening here, and we plan to take a stroll around the grounds as the sun goes down.

It looks like we figured our six hours per day travel time just about right as we’ve checked the GPS for miles to go, and we’ll easily make our July 15 first night reserved at the rally RV Campground in the Catskills. The rally doesn’t start until Monday, July 18, so we should be well settled in by that time. It will be great to stay in one spot for over a week after this mad dash of “one-night stands” across country. I’m getting worn out with travel, and I know Frank has to be weary of all this driving. I sure hope the weather in New York is cool and breezy! Phoenix heat doesn’t seem so unreasonable after what we’ve just driven through!

I brought along some frozen entrees as quick meals, but last evening we enjoyed pork chops, potatoes and carrots cooked in our little George Foreman cooker. Also, in the last three days we’ve polished off a small pound cake and a Sara Lee coffee cake. Didn’t someone, somewhere one time say it’s ok to eat dessert when on vacation? I’m pretty sure I read that in some credible source book.

We miss all of you and would love hearing from you either by email or through the comments feature on blogspot.com (it’s a little tiny link below each posting).

Frank: Odd observations:
1. Most of the big trucks now have the new streamlined, aerodynamic bodies. They are very good looking with sloped hoods, small frontal areas, headlights molded into the fenders, and shielding all over the parts that used to stick out and catch the wind. I’d say 80% of the trucks are new style and 20% are the old Peterbuilt and Freightliner styles with the massive radiators, headlights on stalks, and big ominous unibrow sun visors over the windshields.

2. In 2008 we drove from Phoenix to Pennsylvania and in doing so travelled through Oklahoma. Rt. 40 through Oklahoma was soooooo bad we ended up blacking out the whole state in our atlas and swearing to never set wheel in it again. This evening I just did the same thing to Indiana. If this keeps up we will run out of ways to get back east. In a nutshell, Rt. 70 in Indiana west of Indianapolis and east of Indianapolis is horrible, as in “beat you to death horrible.” I watched in awe as even the big trucks swerved and dodged the potholes along the edge of the road. But around Indianapolis the road is wonderful and there are some beautiful new intersections being built. I think all of their highway maintenance money is going into those projects.

3. The truck and trailer have a “sweet spot” at about 62-63 mph. Above that it gets a little squirrely. At that speed I get 9 mpg. I could get more if I dropped back to 55-60 mph but the speed limits on I-70 tend to run 70-75 mph and I hate to be an even bigger roadblock than I am now. I could also get better mileage if I used the cruise control but it can’t plan ahead when a hill is coming up and add on a few mph and I hate to have the truck bog down and then shift down and over-rev the engine trying to maintain headway.

4. Today we passed a sign for a “Corvette and VW” museum. Now that’s an interesting combination. I swear a body could make it a lifetime objective to see all the strange little museums in this country. It would be fun. Sort of like that “White Castle” movie.

That’s it. Tomorrow is a full day at the Air Force Museum. I plan to be really tired tomorrow night.

Don't forget, click on the photo for a full screen version.

Lots of Love from:
The intrepid four.

No comments:

Post a Comment