Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Goodbye Maine, Hello New York, Tomorrow Virginia!

Cheryl: This morning (Wednesday) we reluctantly bid adieu to Sea Vu and the bold Atlantic. It had rained all night so the whole place looked washed down and sparkling clean in the morning light. Yesterday a young couple came to look at our site because they had their money down on our site for today. We told them what a good spot we’d found it to be and wished them well. Guess we couldn’t have stayed another day even if we’d begged.

Today we rode the big highways and avoided the back roads through the little towns. Toll roads aren’t the most popular with us, but I was tired of twisting and turning through the woods all day long. I prevailed upon Frank to take the big roads, and he cheerfully complied. There were some spectacular views of forests and low mountains as we passed part way through New York State after traversing Massachusetts and Connecticut and finally landing at a place called Plattskill. Frank will elaborate on the town naming conventions around these parts. Right now he’s dressing up the stove top with some white enamel that makes it look just like new. It’s sort of like his bonsai tree exercise, a stress reliever of sorts, macho style.

Other than stopping a couple of times at rest stops, we made good time and landed here in time to fix a nice dinner and get the laundry washed, dried, and put away. Frank bought a movie (DVD) for tonight and some ice for our drinks. I’m in for a shower, and then we’re relaxing for the rest of the evening. I’ll let him tell you about the fire truck here at the KOA and about the nice place this turned out to be tucked away in the woods.

Frank: Yeah, the stove top is my own little fetish. I really like the burners to be bright aluminum and the top cover to be pure enamel white. I feel the cover is supposed to be used to cover up the burners for aesthetic purposes. Cheryl feels that it is supposed to be a work surface for setting pots and pans and whatever else she’s using at any given moment. She’s right of course, it is just a work surface, but I like to keep it as pristine as possible so I keep a small bottle of touch-up paint and regularly fill in all the small nicks and scrapes.

Ah yes, about the fire truck. It’s really nice. It is an old LaFrance unit and it is in great shape. The campground built seats in the back and they give the kids in the park rides all around the camping area.

As Cheryl said, we’re in New York the land of the maximum $75.00 fill up. All the stations in New Hampshire and New York shut off the pumps at $75.00 so I can’t get a full tank of gas. I guess I could use a second credit card (the pumps won’t accept the same card twice) but cutting me off at $75 p’s me off so much I refuse to use the second card just so the stupid station can get more of my money. I just paraphrase the line from the movie “Airplane” over and over in my mind, “Chump don’t want my money, Chump don’t get my money!”

Last year I made a derogatory comment about Cricket cell phones in the blog and the next day I received an email from a Cricket Customer Representative asking me what the problem was. That told me that large companies must monitor blogs for their own names so in hopes that GARMIN is scanning blogs I gotta say that GARMIN needs to add some features to their NUVI GPS units. GARMIN needs to add a vehicle class selection that will allow the user to describe the vehicle they are driving so automobiles and trucks pulling campers (and for goodness sakes, big Class A RV’s) are not assumed to be the same size and all sent down the same small rural highways and back roads. Also, GARMIN needs to add some selections such as “Large Roads Preferred” or “Small Roads Preferred” to the screen where we select “Fasted Time” or “Shortest Distance” because as it is both selections have sent us down small, nasty, windy roads when there were perfectly good mid-sized highways that ran almost perfectly parallel to the roads we were on. Especially in New Hampshire! And for goodness sakes, GARMIN NEEDS to put a Mute Button on the screen so we can shut the BIB up when we decide to pull off for gas or food. It shouldn’t take three screens to shut her up!

Cheryl and I have become KOA fans. I used to swear off them because they are very family oriented and have a lot of kids using a lot of features that we don’t need for ourselves and I didn’t like paying for. The KOA’s do cost about $10.00 more per night but I’ve come to realize it is $10 well spent. The “Kamps” are always neat and clean, the folks running them are professional and friendly, the sites are level with working utilities and the WiFi usually works. I like the consistency of the KOA’s and don’t miss the showing up at an RV Park that looked like God’s gift to RV’ing on the web site and then turns out to be Farkleville when we pulled in. Consistency is good. Farkle is bad. It’s as simple as that.

One last thought: “kill” must mean the same as “burg”, or “ville” when it comes to naming towns up here. We’ve run across “Catskill”, “Peekskill”, “Plattekill”, “Flatskill”, and “Farkleskill”. (OK, I made that last one up.) But no matter what, there are a bunch of “kills” up here so it must have come from somewhere. “Nuff said because I really don’t care one way or another.


Love,
Frank, Cheryl, Peanut and Cleo

No comments:

Post a Comment